Now Online: International Civil and Commercial Litigation Class live by Professor Matthias Lehmann
Available via iTunes-Store and Podcasts-App.
- The topic "Blockchain, Bitcoin & Co.: The Law Applicable To Distributed Ledger Technology" was presented by Prof. Lehmann in Asia. The first occasion was a seminar organised jointly by the University of Tokyo and Sophia University on 6 April 2018. The second presentation was made in a staff seminar at the Law School of the Hong Kong City University on 12 April 2018. Both presentations gave rise to fruitful discussions.
- Bitcoin and blockchain are widely discussed subjects. But which law applies to them? The Financial Markets Law Committee has published a paper on the subject. It is the product of the working group on Distributed Ledger Technology and Governing Law, in which Prof. Lehmann took part. The paper can be found here.
- Professor Lehmann and Professor Dirk Zetzsche (Luxembourg) have published the blog post “London’s Financial Firms Will Suffer Post-Brexit“ as part of the Center for International Governance (CIGI) Essay Series. They explore options of British firms for accessing the Single Market after the UK’s departure from the EU.
- On November 30, 2017, the ceremony for the 14th Liechtenstein Banking Award will be hosted in Vaduz. At this occasion, Professor Lehmann will hold the keynote speech, entitled “Regulatory Compliance and Proportionality”. The program is available here.
- Professor Lehmann's lecture on "International Civil and Commercial Litigation" is now available to view and download on iTunes. It can found found via this link (iTunes required).
- On November 17, 2017, Professor Lehmann will be speaking at the conference of the Association Européenne pour le Droit Bancaire et Financier (ABEDF) in Nice on the topic: "Central Bank Independence and Judicial Review”.
- Professor Lehmann has the honour of holding the conference “Albert Mayrand” at the Université de Montréal, Canada, on November 9, 2017. The title of his presentation will be "La régulation économique sonne-t-elle le glas des codes civils?” ("Business Regulation - Tolling the Bell for Civil Codes?").
- Professor Lehmann will be speaking on the topic ‘FinTech and Jurisdiction’ at the International Conference on ‘FinTech – Law and Regulation’, which will be held at the University of Luxembourg on 9 October 2017.
- Professor Lehmann was appointed by the European Commission as a member of the Expert Group on Conflict of Laws Regarding Securities and Claims. The Group’s task is to assist the Commission with drafting a conflict-of-laws rule for the law applicable to third party effects of transfers of securities, assignments, and collateral operations in securities and claims. The preparatory work of the Group is going to lead up to a legislative proposal.
- Professor Lehmann is attending the ECB´s Legal Conference on ´Shaping a new legal order for Europe: a tale of crises and opportunities´, held on Monday, 4 September 2017, in Frankfurt a.M. At a panel together with Pauliine Koskelo (judge at the European Court of Human Rights) and Juliane Kokott (Advocate General at the European Court of Justice), he is giving a talk on ´Varying Levels of Scrutiny in Judicial Review of Central Bank Measures´.
- On Friday, 23 June 2017, Professor Lehmann is giving a talk at the 29th Journées de droit international privé in Lausanne, titled ´ US Litigation Today: Still a Threat For European Businesses or Just a Paper Tiger?´. The topic of his talk will be ´American vs. European Approaches to Extraterritoriality in Civil Litigation´.
- On Wednesday, 14 June 2017, Professor Lehmann is speaking at the ZIFO Congress in Amsterdam about ´Proportionality of European Banking Law: Towards a ´CRR-Light´ for Small and Medium-Sized?´.
- On 18 May 2017, Professor Lehmann will present a paper at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Within the workshop "International Finance, Party Autonomy and Public Interest", he will talk about the possibilities of arbitrating financial disputes after Brexit ("Arbitration of Financial Disputes After Brexit: The Solution to the City’s Worries?").
- On 11 May 2017, Professor Lehmann will be speaking at the conference titled "Public and private regulation of financial markets" in Amsterdam. The conference is organized by the Hazelhoff Centre for Financial Law at the University of Leiden (Netherlands). Professor Lehmann's topic will be "Private International Law and regulation of financial markets".
- Does the European Union need a Uniform Commercial Code?
The European Union is facing an existential crisis. The monetary union is particularly at risk because of considerable differences in the economic strength between the Member States of the Euro Area. Adopting a European commercial code could go a long way in deepening economic integration within the Union. This topic will be addressed at a conference which is to take place on Thursday, 27 April 2017, from 2 pm to 6 pm, at the Poppelsdorfer Schloss in Bonn. The conference will be organised by the Center for European Economic Law of the University of Bonn in collaboration with the Association Henri Capitant, the Fondation pour le droit continental and the Deutscher Anwaltverein. We warmly welcome you to attend the conference. Registration for the event is free of charge. In order to register, or for any enquiries about the conference please email email@example.com.
Further information about the program can be found here.
Prof. Dr. Matthias Lehmann
- On Friday, 10 February 2017, Professor Lehmann is holding a conference titled “¿Necesitamos un Código Europeo de Comercio?” (“Do We Need a European Commercial Code?”). For more information, click here.
- On Tuesday, 24 January 2017, Professor Lehmann is going to talk on the topic "Proportionality and Better Regulation” at a workshop organized by the European Savings and Retail Banking Group (ESBG) in Brussels.
- On the 28th of November 2016, Prof. Lehmann will give a talk titled “A Question of Coherence: The Proposals on EU Contract Rules on Digital Content and Online Sales” at the University of Amsterdam. This seminar is organized by the Centre for the Study of European Contract Law. Further information can be found here.
- Prof. Lehmann will be speaking on the 10th of November 2016 in London at the conference on "The Impact of Brexit on commercial dispute litigation in London", organised by the ERA (Academy for European Law). His talk will deal with the consequences of Brexit for commercial disputes.
- On 27th of October 2016, the "Global Annual Conference" of the European Banking Institute jointly organized with the Deutsche Bundesbank will take place, which Prof. Lehmann will be attending as a speaker. His presentation will deal with "European Law, national rules, and Single Supervisory Mechanism:How much harmonisation is needed for a banking union?".
- Prof. Lehmann will be speaking on the 4th of July 2016, in Berlin, at the conference on "consumer contract law and the digital single market". His talk will encompass the Directive proposed by the Commission on distance sale of goods and the supply of digital content. The program can be found here.