Professor Dr. Daniel Zimmer, LL.M., Director of the Institute of Commercial and Economic Law and of the Center for Advanced Studies in Law and Economics (CASTLE) at the University of Bonn. Research Fellow, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin) and Research Affiliate at the Reinhard Selten Institute.
Curriculum Vitae and Academic Development
Raised in Luxemburg (City), Duesseldorf and Wiesbaden. 1978 High School degree. 1978/79 military draft in Marburg/Lahn. 1979 to 1984 Legal Studies at the Universities of Mainz, Lausanne and Goettingen. 1985 to 1988 legal clerkship (Referendariat) at the Superior Court (Oberlandesgericht) of Celle, whilst working as an academic researcher in the section of In-ternational and foreign Economic Law at the University of Goettingen (Director: Professor Dr. U. Immenga). 1988/89 legal studies (LL.M.) at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). 1991 Dr. iur. at the University of Goettingen (Doctoral Thesis: “Admissibility and Limits of decisions by Arbitration in Competition Law Disputes - a Comparative Analysis based upon U. S. and German Law”, published by Nomos publishing, 1991). 1991 to 1996 employed as an academic assistant in the section of International and foreign Economic Law at the University of Goettingen. 1996 postdoctoral qualification (Habilitation) at the Univer-sity of Goettingen, (Qualification Thesis: International Company Law - The Conflict of Laws of Companies and its relation to International Capital Market Law and to International Enter-prise Law ”, publishing house: Recht und Wirtschaft 1996).
1996 Full Professor at the Ruhr-University, Bochum (Faculty of Law, Chair for Civil Law, German and European Commercial Law). 1998 Member of the Directorate of the Institute for Enterprise Leadership of the Ruhr-University, Bochum. As of 2001 Professor at the University of Bonn. Director (since 2004 managing) of the Institute of Commercial Law, Speaker of the Seminar on Industrial Law and member of the Directorate of the Centre for European Economic Law, at the University of Bonn. 2016-2018 Dean of the Faculty of Law and Economics at the University of Bonn.
2019 Publication of the novel Möbius und Die Kunst des Betrügens (www.kunstdesbetruegens.de)
- 1997-2011 teaching in the post-diploma study programme “Internationales Wirtschaftsrecht” at the University of Zurich.
- 1999-2001 visiting Professor at the University of Lausanne
- 2004-2006 member of the special Commission “International Company Law” of the German Council for Private International Law (preparing a legislative proposal concerning International Company Law for the German Ministry of Justice)
- 2004-2006 execution of the interdisciplinary third-party-funded survey “Competition Law and Economics” (in cooperation with Prof. Dr. rer. pol. Ulrich Schwalbe, of the University of Hohenheim)
- 2005-2008 member of the Forum on Auditor Liability of the EU Commission
- 2008-2016 member of the German Monopolies Commission
- 2010/2011 Chairman of the Expert Council for the Development of Exit-Strategies regarding the Federal Republic's Investment in the Financial Sector
- 2012-2016 Chairman of the German Monopolies Commission
- Since 2013 Co-Editor, Wirtschaft und Wettbewerb, Journal for Competition Law and Economics
- 2015 - 2016 Vice President, Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA)
- Since 2016 Research Fellow, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin)
- Since 2018 Research Affiliate, Reinhard Selten Institute (Bonn/Cologne)
- Since 2018 Principal Investigator, ECONtribute: Markets & Public Policy, a joint initiative of the Universities of Bonn and Cologne, funded as a Cluster of Excellence in the German Excellence Strategy,